Is It Enough?
Our plastic pollution crisis is becoming increasingly alarming for the majority of us and what’s even more worrying is that we have very little control over it. For example, when you do your weekly food shop, you can’t avoid it – plastic is everywhere! Yes you can pick out some fresh fruit and veggies without packaging but apart from that, at least 90% of your items will be wrapped in it.
Did you know plastic can only be recycled once, in some cases only twice? For us, recycling just isn’t enough. Avoiding plastic when we can seems to be the only solution.
Take a look at some facts about plastic and why we need to act:
– Out of the 260 MILLION, that’s right we said MILLION tons of plastic the world produces each year, 10% of that ends up in our oceans. (Source – Plastic Pollution)
– Recycling just one plastic bottle saves enough energy to power a 60W light bulb for six hours. (Source – Plastic Free)
– Most plastic we use can take up to 450 years to biodegrade. (Source – Telegraph)
– 3.7 million tonnes of plastic was being used per year in the UK. (Source – BBC)
– One million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans. (Source – Eco Watch)
– 13 billion plastic carrier bags are used in the UK each year. (Source – Plastic Free)
Here are some tips on how YOU can reduce plastic –
– Buy reusable products! You can buy reusable coffee mugs, shopping bags, water bottles, straws etc. Not only will this save you money but you are massively helping the planet and being a nice human
– Look for alternative plastic free options
– Request zero packaging when shopping online!
– Avoid the worst types of plastic. Steer clear of Polyvinyl Chloride (#3 PVC), Polystyrene (#6 PS), & Polycarbonate (#7 Other). PVC is found in many, many products and causes a whole host of environmental problems.
– Shop local. Take a trip to your local farmers market with lovely fresh produce and little to no plastic!
Remember, Recycle | Reuse | Reduce …